+1 to simple straightforward guidelines


On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 1:01 PM Blake Eggleston <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I propose the following guidelines:
>
>
>    1. Contributors must have a comprehensive understanding of the patches
>    they contribute
>    2. Reviewers must have a comprehensive understanding of the patches
>    they approve
>    3. Reviewers must have experience with the affected systems
>    commensurate with the risk and complexity of the patch.
>
>
> This makes the expectations that have been mostly implicit explicit,
> doesn’t gate keep on the contributor side, doesn’t tell people how to do
> their work, and gives the subject matter expert, the reviewer, the latitude
> to decide what standards make sense for the patch they’re reviewing.
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, at 12:01 PM, Josh McKenzie wrote:
>
> Apache Cassandra was fundamentally undeployable for four years between Nov
> 2015 - 2019.
>
> CASSANDRA-8099 was a maximal manifestation of a specific approach to
> engineering and calendar constraints we've seen time and again on the
> project; I don't want us to conflate things here. That was a herculean
> monolithic body of work performed in inhuman conditions (in vim!) that was
> ultimately so invasive, all the unit tests in the code-base were commented
> out and Jake and I spent a grueling 1.5-2 months hand-rewriting basically
> all the unit tests in that code-base to get things to even build and run,
> much less pass.
>
> Massive blast radius changes that are un-sustainably complex,
> under-tested, where we don't property, fuzz, check coverage, check
> complexity, or A/B compare against a known good system (i.e. pre/post)
> correctness testing are going to destabilize the database at any time under
> any regime of tooling. We certainly could speed-run our way back into
> destabilization with LLM's as they are a force multiplier for both the good
> and the bad of one's engineering practices, but that's a solvable problem
> by better defining what our bars of quality are (Definition of Done
> anyone?) and holding ourselves accountable to delivering at that bar.
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, at 2:40 PM, David Capwell via dev wrote:
>
>
> if you really want to pursue it I would ask that we do it offline to avoid
> polluting an already busy conversation
>
> People are directly responding saying that they feel discrimination
> currently and that the policy tries to codify that discrimination, so I
> feel its 100% on topic. This thread has presented 0 evidence that LLM usage
> has lowered the quality of contributions merged and has so far been vibes
> and feeling; I have yet to see any evidence to justify such discrimination
> so I will keep pushing back until such evidence is presented so we can have
> a informed debate.
>
> namely how we handle shallow and localised bug fixes. I would be happy
> adding a clear entry to the “Permitted” section for this. No doubt there
> are many refinements needed to the Restricted text as well, that might also
> capture some of your concerns.
>
> I will not sign off on cherry picking areas where "safe" to use a tool; so
> no it does not capture my concerns.
>
>
> I don't know if everyone remembers, but ten years ago Cassandra was full
> of serious correctness and stability issues. Despite developing it, I would
> not have run it myself or recommend that anyone use it. We have dug
> ourselves out of that hole, but it took years of discipline and effort, and
> we're still (deservedly) recovering our reputation.
>
> Let's use this new technology to improve the quality of our contributions,
> not squander our hard-earned gains in the name of speed. It will be hard to
> recover our reputation a second time.
>
> I do recall the 3.x line and put in a significant amount of effort to
> harden it. There were behaviors I noticed after joining Cassandra that I
> feel directly contributed to 3.0 and the decade of catch up; behaviors that
> still linger in parts of the community today.
>
> As I look on trunk and look at committed code and trace back to PRs and
> JIRA I see the following:
>
>    - large patches approved without comments
>    - 0 evidence that tests were run
>
> I then look at our CI and see tests failing for months. As you start to
> triage you start to see some of them show real issues; yet they linger for
> months not being addressed... when CI is unstable it takes a lot of effort
> to triage "did my patch break the test", and I have seen time and time
> again people do not put in that effort, and shrug off as "its just a flakey
> test"; then our CI failure rate grows.
>
> Non of this has anything to do with LLMs but LLMs running in this
> environment is far more dangerous as there are not checks in place to "hold
> the bar". I am all for raising the bar universally; expecting both humans
> and LLMs to match that bar.
>
> I’d support something that boils down to roughly this:
>
> 1.) 2 committers must understand an LLM-assisted change before it commits. 
> (Perhaps separately we can explore the question of why we haven’t added any 
> new committers to the core project for about a year. I’m also still not 
> entirely sure if it’s acceptable within our guidelines for a committer to +1 
> a patch after delegating review.)
>
> 2.) Patch authors must demonstrate enough understanding to discuss their own 
> patch, whether or not parts of it are generated by an LLM.
>
> 3.) The “Assisted-by” tag should be used to indicate any non-trivial LLM 
> usage in the generation of a patch, just like we have used Co-authored-by 
> historically.
>
> 4.) Comments and other things that aren't the actual code (but could sow 
> confusion) should be held to the same standard we'd expect from a human 
> writer. If we don’t yet agree on that standard, we can formalize enough of it 
> to guide both humans and LLMs.
>
> I can get behind this proposal but i would tweak it as 1/2 i don't think
> really need to special case LLM usage
>
>    1. 2 committers must understand the change before it commits.
>    2. Patch authors must demonstrate enough understanding to discuss
>    their own patch
>
> Nothing about those 2 need to be scoped to LLM usage and honestly matches
> most PMCs I have talked to understanding of our bar (as Benedict pointed
> out, the actual wording could be interpreted to allow rubber stamping from
> committer)
>
> As for 3 I am cool with this. ASF recommends the same (it says
> Generated-by but that discount's the human's effort) as its useful for
> audits and tooling. Having Assisted-by tag should not imply anything
> about the committed patch as it should have gone through the same bar we
> all expect; its just for tools auditing.
>
> On Sep 24, 2026, at 10:37 AM, Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
> Meant "doing away with", sorry. Non-native speaker with a headache here.
> Thanks Caleb for spotting.
>
> On 24 Sep 2026, at 17:35, Aleksey Yeshchenko via dev <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
> P.S. I assume it's obvious from the text above that I don't believe that
> getting away with human code review is a viable option.
>
>
>
> On 24 Sep 2026, at 17:37, Štefan Miklošovič <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> Good call on checkerframework, we even have a patch for it. Work of
> Jacek Lewandowski. We might just drive it to completion. Using AI for
> finishing it would be quite ironic.
>
> (1) https://github.com/apache/cassandra/pull/2370
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 6:19 PM Jon Haddad <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>
> There are some really good points being brought up about stability of the
> codebase, maintainability, quality of reviews, correctness bugs, and I
> agree with all of them.  I think it would be helpful to take a step back
> and consider how those bugs got there in the first place, how they were
> fixed, and what we could do to further advance the codebase so they don't
> creep back.  LLMs can be used either with very tight guardrails, or in
> what's effectively YOLO mode, and there's a big difference in the quality
> of the results you get.
>
> One thing to keep in mind, a lot of the initial code in C* was added
> without comprehensive testing.  I hope we can all agree that it's a lot
> easier to break code that doesn't have high quality tests.  During the code
> freeze, a lot of people people spent several years relentlessly finding and
> fixing bugs. This was probably a pretty frustrating time for anyone who was
> focused on fixing other people's bugs when they wanted to build features.
> I think we should recognize the effort here and appreciate the foundation
> that the project stands on now. I can understand how anyone involved with
> this effort would be apprehensive about seeing years of their life swept
> away by an agent that was driven by goal seeking to remove all the tests
> that it broke instead of fixing them.
>
> When I picked up the work to improve cursor compaction, the first thing I
> asked myself was how can I make sure I don't break this?  How do I even
> know it works properly?  There were some tricky parts to the code, and I
> really didn't want to come in and immediately break stuff.  That's why I
> started with an entire patch dedicated to adding test infra to it.  90% of
> the patch was tests, and in my other cursor patches, it remains *at least*
> 80% of my patches.  It was a *lot* faster to add almost 10K lines of tests
> that handled a byte for byte differential testing paired with harry to find
> over 30 bugs that caused cursor to corrupt results.  Range tombstones alone
> were at least a dozen bugs, but I also found issues with static columns,
> reverse ordering, etc.  Randomizing schemas and data in burn tests to
> generate different shapes of data, to ensure they all result in the same
> output at the end. JMH tests to ensure there weren't performance
> regressions, hours of profiling. These were all a *lot* easier to do with
> the LLM helping me out.  In the process I've found bugs that have been
> lingering in the codebase for years.
>
> That's a long story, but hopefully we all agree that having comprehensive
> tests is a great way to ensure that both humans and LLMs don't break things
> that are working.
>
> The lesson: we need to keep improving our testing.  Everything that we
> touch, should be left in a better state than how we found it with regard to
> test coverage.
>
> Test coverage isn't everything though, there's always little subtle bugs
> that don't get found in testing, that can slip in despite our best
> efforts.  It's debatable if humans will be as good as agents for coding in
> the long term, for spotting small defects.  I sincerely doubt it.  For the
> time being though, we still have people involved. It's probably a good time
> to start using more static analysis tools to identify problematic code and
> to add this to CI.  Dmitry had a suggestion recently for checkerframework
> to detect leaking contexts, a problem he spotted when reviewing my branch.
> It would be great to have that integrated into our CI and dev workflow so
> we can simply avoid an entire class of bugs.
>
> There's also PMD, which is excellent for finding code that can be hard to
> understand.  I *highly* suggest you all run PMD to analyze for cognitive
> complexity and high npath scores.  This was made popular by the folks at
> Sonar and I've found it to be an excellent feedback mechanism for
> structuring code.  The default max they set is 15, which is the point where
> it starts to become difficult to verify something works without making a
> massive investment.  We've got areas in the codebase that are in the
> hundreds, and some parts even higher.  These have been contributed by
> humans, and are all high risk points for both humans and agents to start
> messing around with.  They're also in some fairly critical areas that are
> very likely to break, so I understand why people would not want an agent
> anywhere near it.
>
> Unfortunately, it's not an easy problem to address.  There's so many
> places where the code is structured in a way that has so many branches, so
> many conditions, that it's effectively impossible for a human to
> understand, creating a fear of messing around in it.  There's plenty of
> areas that deserve extreme scrutiny, and we should be careful of what we
> add, whether it's human or agent.
>
> The codebase today requires a high degree of internal knowledge to
> navigate.  There's land mines everywhere. We should be looking to make
> conscious improvements by moving the code forward, so it's easier to make
> changes to small, well tested components with minimal side effects.  Not
> making it harder for people to use the tools that aid in that process.
>
> Here's what we could do to achieve the underlying goal of not breaking the
> DB:
>
> Add cognitive complexlity and npath via PMD as a feedback mechanism.
>
> Code that's hard to understand is hard to review.  It's also hard to test.
> Let's break down the complex code so more people can contribute, safely.
>
> Add checkerframework to our tooling,
>
> Properly annotate the codebase for it and reduce the surface area that
> things can break.  Less brittle codebase = we can move faster.
>
> Use jacoco to find areas of the codebase with poor testing.
>
> Let's improve the test coverage there, LLMs are great for this.  We have a
> ton of static tests, these can become more dynamic, parameterized, and
> leverage harry.
>
> Refactor parts of the codebase that have high cognitive complexlity and
> NPath scores.
>
> This should be lowered over time to meet some high watermark, say 25
> maximum, although I'd prefer 15 which is where the Sonar folks settled.
>
> Move forward moving the codebase to a more modular structure
>
> We've talked about Gradle on and off - but it can really be a huge help
> with incremental, modular builds. This is pretty easy to do with an agent
> and we could have it done in a couple days.
>
> Enforce boundaries with ArchUnit
>
> If we want to enforce certain code boundaries, this is the way to do it.
> Should not be part of manual review.
>
> Add LLM review for all incoming PRs before a human
>
> The goal here is to automate the initial part of the review process that
> reviewers should spot, and raise the bar for the initial contribution.
> When the code gets reviewed by a human, it should already have passed a
> large variety of initial checks.  This should shorten the review cycle and
> result in higher quality patches.  I've had Claude reviewing all my PRs in
> my personal projects for a while now and it consistently gives great
> feedback that I almost always incorporate.
>
> In my ideal world, we'd also auto-format all code
>
> Consistent formatting throughout the codebase would be amazing, but that's
> just one man's dream.
>
> Hopefully there's at least a couple things in this list we could move
> forward with in the short term, as it'll help improve the code quality
> regardless of how it's created.
>
> Jon
>
> https://checkerframework.org/manual/#aliasing-leaking-contexts
> https://www.sonarsource.com/docs/CognitiveComplexity.pdf
> https://pmd.github.io/pmd/pmd_rules_java_design.html
>
>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 7:38 AM C. Scott Andreas <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>
> From Benedict:
>
> “I don't know if everyone remembers, but ten years ago Cassandra was full
> of serious correctness and stability issues. Despite developing it, I would
> not have run it myself or recommend that anyone use it. We have dug
> ourselves out of that hole, but it took years of discipline and effort, and
> we're still (deservedly) recovering our reputation.”
>
> Expanding on this point for those who may not have been active in the
> project at this time —
>
> Apache Cassandra was fundamentally undeployable for four years between Nov
> 2015 - 2019. The database literally lost data if you ran a read-only SELECT
> query ordered descending (C-14513, C-14515). If you haven’t read these
> tickets before, please take a moment to do so.
>
> It took years of careful work via property-based testing, fuzzing, and
> deterministic simulation to restore Cassandra’s status as a usable system
> of record. Once 14513 and 14515 were identified, nearly 30 additional
> critical data loss and incorrect response bugs were identified.
>
> It is essential for the project’s future that we don’t regress to this
> state chasing AI-generated features motivated by fear. The fact that
> examples cited in this thread which boast shiny features but have critical
> shortcomings unknown to their author supports this argument.
>
> The most common path for large corpuses of AI-generated software is
> elation and reveling in a feature matrix, followed by abandonment.
>
> I endorse this point:
>
> “Let's use this new technology to improve the quality of our
> contributions, not squander our hard-earned gains in the name of speed. It
> will be hard to recover our reputation a second time.”
>
> Patrick, I don’t want your note regarding a TCM issue to go unaddressed.
> Please file a Jira ticket and the patch if you like. I can’t comment on the
> patch as I haven’t seen it, but together we will solve the problem.
>
> – Scott
>
> On Sep 24, 2026, at 4:01 AM, Benedict Elliott Smith <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> As I mentioned in my reply to David, I would be happy to create a carve
> out for shallow and localised bug fixes in the "Permitted" section. Would
> this alleviate some of your concerns regarding your ability to contribute
> to the project?
>
> I appreciate your pointing out Ferrosa's Accord implementation however, as
> it is a *great* example of the problems we're leaping into. I took a look,
> and within about 30s found that the protocol is fundamentally incorrect,
> having failed to address CASSANDRA-18365. This is despite claiming to be
> tested with Jepsen that should in principle find this fault. I followed up
> by using Claude to interrogate the implementation further, and immediately
> found other serious correctness issues.
>
> I use LLMs daily now to help facilitate Accord development, and while they
> are powerful they are NOT able to author the code themselves, even when
> building upon a strong human-authored foundation.
>
> I don't know if everyone remembers, but ten years ago Cassandra was full
> of serious correctness and stability issues. Despite developing it, I would
> not have run it myself or recommend that anyone use it. We have dug
> ourselves out of that hole, but it took years of discipline and effort, and
> we're still (deservedly) recovering our reputation.
>
> Let's use this new technology to improve the quality of our contributions,
> not squander our hard-earned gains in the name of speed. It will be hard to
> recover our reputation a second time.
>
>
> On 2026/09/23 19:16:17 Patrick McFadin wrote:
> I was waiting for this moment to hit our project and I'm glad we're here. I
> am deeply concerned for our project and its future, as we have increasingly
> made it difficult to contribute. I had hoped that this new era of
> software tools powered by AI would expand the project's reach and bring
> more diverse thoughts and ideas. This policy proposal is the exact opposite
> of what we need. We have been sitting on a Cassandra 6 release alpha for
> months. We need to accelerate and embrace new ways of being or be left
> behind. As I read that policy, my first and gut level reactions:
> - It comes across as elitist and class protectionism. Committer should not
> be special but this proposal makes that designation even more sacred.
> - It signals that our project is so fragile that only a few people "Really
> understand it" That's some SQLite vibes right there.
> - Trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist
> Sadly, i think this policy change would also exclude a lot of comitters.
> We aren't alone in this moment. The Linux project just went through
> this. You can find the thread with a simple Google, but similar hard
> feelings were being expressed "AI is going to ruin our project!", "The
> unwashed masses are going to contribute terrible code!", "We have to
> protect our precious status as Linux maintainers!"  Linus being Linus, was
> deeply invloved and they adopted a super simple statement that covers all
> bases. Human or Human using AI. “You are expected to understand and to be
> able to defend everything you submit.”  Love that.
> In the larger picture, I'll restate. I'm worried for our project. In late
> 2025(Opus 4.5 IYKYK), early 2026, AI coding LLMs turned a real corner and
> in the hands of somebody that knows how to build software, this tool is
> like jet fuel. Here's some examples of new projects being hyper fueled by
> AI coding tools.
> Apache Iggy - Complete rust replacement of kafka. Crazy fast velocity
> Turso - Rust re-write of SQLite
> Bun - Rust re-write of itself from Zig.
> Think this couldn't happen to us? Already has:
> https://github.com/ferrosadb/ferrosa. Ben is using it to power his own
> startup, but it was him alone using a ton of local AI coding agents. He
> even implemented Accord. Yeah...
> The cracks are already starting to show. There is a black market economy of
> Cassandra patches happening now. Not going to name names or call people
> out,  but there are fixes and optimizations living in branches outside of
> the Cassandra project. Why? I'll use myself as an example. I fixed a nasty
> bug I ran into with TCM a few weeks ago. Wrote the tests. It passes CI and
> lives in my personal branch. I'm sitting here really wondering if I want to
> go through the ritual humiliation of being roasted for using AI to fix it.
> Me. I am worried about contrinuting code the Cassandra. What the hell does
> that say?
> I have my CQLite project that I've been doing a release around once a
> month. I would love to donate that to the Cassandra project but I wouldn't
> if it essentially killed any progress.
> My larger counter proposal would be to:
> - Adopt the “You are expected to understand and to be able to defend
> everything you submit.” approach the Linux project has adopted.
> - Loosen up the contributor process and our worry on trunk. Let 1000
> flowers bloom and bring it in.
> - And finally, to give some people more peace of mind and open more doors,
> adopt what other projects have done and provide more pluggability. Let new
> ideas have an easy place to connect.
> We are at a fork in the road. What are we going to do? And then I have to
> ask myself, what am I going to do as a contributor?
> Patrick
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 6:16 AM Blake Eggleston <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> I’m not necessarily opposed to having a policy, but so far we have some
> specific proposals addressing a problem statement that’s very nebulous.
> What is the community failing to do on its own that we’re trying to correct
> with policy? What outcomes are we trying to create or prevent? Having some
> examples and specific problems to discuss would help focus the
> conversation.
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026, at 4:34 AM, Shailaja Koppu via dev wrote:
>
> Benedict,
> Thanks for clarifying. My concern still remains. This criteria would be
> difficult to define and apply consistently. What counts as “similar” scope
> or area, “mostly correct,” or sufficiently independent work? More
> importantly, how do we prevent such vague criteria from creating an
> informal hierarchy where some contributors work is routinely accepted while
> others is routinely rejected?
> If the intent is to limit AI-assisted code changes to Cassandra
> contributors, or to contributors who have previously worked in that
> component without AI, that would at least be clear and enforceable.
>
> On Sep 23, 2026, at 12:01 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith <
>
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
> Core code changes
> Chris: Do you object to the first or second line you quote? Because the
>
> first line is effectively motivation for the second line, and can be
> removed (or more clearly combined). If it’s the second line, then I do not
> think this is an unreasonable expectation, and we can get into a proper
> debate about it.
>
> Shailaja, since you only snipped the first sentence, your concerns might
>
> also be mostly answered by this clarification? “Minimal third-party
> guidance” implies you have some concerns about the second line, but all of
> our policies have some ambiguity because legalese is even worse. I don’t
> think the ambiguity here would be challenging to navigate though we can
> certainly refine it. This specific snippet is meant to convey an
> expectation that a contributor has autonomously produced patches of similar
> scope that were mostly correct, so that they have demonstrated the level of
> understanding necessary to guide another party to a successful patch (i.e.
> an LLM in this case).
>
> On 2026/09/23 10:54:16 Benedict Elliott Smith wrote:
>
> Thanks everyone for your input so far. I’ll respond in brief to the
>
> main themes, in (mostly) separate emails so they can each have their own
> debate chain.
>
> Should we have a policy (Blake/Josh*/Jon/Dinesh)
> I think we would all agree that LLMs represent the biggest change to
>
> this community (and software more generally) since its inception, and we
> all now have enough experience with the technology to have formed opinions
> about how it is best managed. We also evidently have not all arrived at the
> same conclusions. In this situation, it would be an abdication of our
> responsibilities as a management committee to not agree *some* policy.
>
> I intend to conduct straw polls as the discussion evolves, so if you
>
> prefer an alternative policy - or modifications to this policy - I would
> encourage you to make those alternative proposals.
>
> *Veto/Consensus (Josh)
> It was fair to call out my poor use of language on this topic, so let
>
> me rephrase a little. The community is built on consensus, and work should
> not be merged when there are outstanding concerns to address. The explicit
> -1 should only be used rarely, because the prior expectation should prevent
> it ever being needed. I (and others) have outstanding concerns on LLM
> generated work that can only be addressed through this process right here,
> so to merge such work while maintaining the community’s consensus we must
> agree some policy.
>
> On 2026/09/23 09:58:27 Shailaja Koppu via dev wrote:
>
> I am strongly -1 on this
> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by contributors
>
> with demonstrated expertise
>
> That creates a new, subjective privileged class of contributors and
>
> turns a tool choice into an eligibility test. Who decides whether expertise
> has been “demonstrated,” what counts as “minimal third-party guidance,” and
> how could those judgments be applied consistently or fairly?
>
> Apache already has a better model, anyone may contribute, trust and
>
> additional repository privileges are earned transparently over time. The
> ASF describes its communities as flat, and says that newcomer ideas have as
> much input as those from original creators. We should not add a separate,
> informal hierarchy in which certain people may use common development tools
> while others may not.
>
> On Sep 23, 2026, at 6:33 AM, Chris Lohfink <[email protected]>
>
> wrote:
>
> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by contributors
>
> with demonstrated expertise
>
> - Must have produced similar patches in size, scope and area
>
> unassisted and with minimal third-party guidance
>
> I really don't like this one or its wording. Definitely too "the
>
> peasants are getting uppity lets build a wall". Lets not let a subjective
> thing like demonstrated expertise (who decides that?) be if it's ok or not.
> Hold the same standards for code quality and process for it all. I don't
> want this to be: only people on the storage team in Apple can use AI.
>
> Chris
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2026 at 12:16 AM <[email protected] <mailto:
>
> [email protected]>> wrote:
>
> I agree with Stefan and think this is both a reasonable and
>
> thoughtful proposal.
>
> Here are some things I like about it:
> – It outlines areas where LLM usage is unambiguously useful to the
>
> project’s developers and users.
>
> – It defines a spectrum of recommendations and cautions.
> – The only prohibited areas are extremely narrow and say nothing
>
> about code at all.
>
> Some in this thread are responding as if this proposal seeks to
>
> prohibit or sharply limit use of LLMs. In fact, it’s one of the most open
> and welcoming I’ve seen for an OSS project of our size where many are
> adopting policies that simply ban them entirely. I’ve re-appended the
> proposal below my message as it seems to have been lost in threaded
> replies, and would encourage folks to give it a second read.
>
> Some brief thoughts based on my own use of LLMs:
> – I find them fantastically useful for reviewing and identifying
>
> problems that have slipped through review - primarily via Alex Petrov’s
> /deep-review skill, which I have running in a VM in a loop executing over
> every new commit in the project as of a few days ago. I will be posting a
> few hand-authored Jira tickets based on findings that appear legitimate to
> me. For now, the loop is posting them as issue drafts for my own review on
> my personal fork which you can find here:
>
> https://github.com/cscotta/cassandra/issues?q=is%3Aissue%20state%3Aopen%20label%3Abug
>
> – They’re great for enabling use of model checkers and formal
>
> methods where such work would have previously been prohibitively expensive,
> such as Blake’s work on a TLA+ proof of aspects of Mutation Tracking and
> Benedict/Fedor’s work on a machine-checkable proof of the Accord protocol
> in Lean.
>
> – They are stunning for allowing me to experiment with ideas that
>
> would have otherwise been a summer internship’s scope of work. Some
> examples include an io_uring prototype, exploring the impact of
> page-aligned compressed chunk sizes, an API shim bridging the 3.x and 4.x
> Java Drivers, and potential enhancements to Zstandard.
>
> – And they shine when given grunt-work that is critical to the
>
> project but a miserable labor for humans, such as triaging, reproducing,
> and root-causing flaky tests, which David Capwell now has running in a loop
> to help us improve CI stability in the project.
>
> I never thought I’d be so positive on what’s possible via language
>
> models a year ago. At the same time, I also agree that they present
> challenges and risks that can be managed through thoughtful discussion and
> policy. Some of the concerns that I think are important to guard against
> include:
>
> – Asymmetry of effort between author and reviewers: As
>
> token-generating machines, LLMs can generate diffs of extraordinary size
> very rapidly. /deep-review is great for chewing through diffs and
> identifying defects. But it should be used by the contributor themselves to
> identify issues – not to replace the role of the reviewer with more
> electricity. The role of the reviewers extends beyond identifying and
> highlighting defects. It encompasses architecture, harmony with the
> existing codebase, thinking ahead to future evolution of the project, and
> replicates context on the project as new code is committed. These functions
> cannot be automated away.
>
> – Hesitancy of authors to engage manually with code they have
>
> generated: This is not specific to Cassandra, but it is a behavior that I
> have seen in several “highly-electric” projects. There’s a bimodal tendency
> toward code that is entirely generated or entirely human-authored - but it
> is rare for someone to prepare an AI-authored patch to take an offramp and
> spend a significant amount of time refining the work by hand in an IDE.
> This hesitancy toward human participation in authorship of LLM-generated
> code is very concerning to me.
>
> – Harmony with the existing codebase: Due to the tunnel-vision of
>
> context windows, LLMs are generally unaware of conventions and norms
> present in codebases and very frequently reinvent concepts in a generation
> turn to suit a goal without view of the project’s overall architecture.
> This results in a profusion of messy and duplicated concepts that gradually
> sprawl about a codebase.
>
> Again, none of these are grounds for prohibition of usage of
>
> language models in developing the project. They’re just problems we need to
> bear in mind and guard against – and I think the proposal is designed to do
> just that.
>
> I’m thrilled by the potential of LLMs to improve Apache Cassandra
>
> and we already see it happening through a vast number of issues that are
> being reported and fixed. But there’s also danger in taking ATVs down a
> hiking trail full of people.
>
> Regarding the prohibition on prose, I’ll simply say: I recently
>
> found myself in a scenario where I found a Claude-authored document so
> inscrutable that I piped it back into a model, directed it to rewrite it in
> ASD-STE100, read it myself, and responded based on the summarization. As a
> humanities grad, this is probably the worst language crime I have
> committed. But it was in response to language that was itself so
> idiosyncratic that it was unreadable to me in its original form. I hope
> this never happens in the Apache Cassandra project.
>
> I’ll close with a quote from an excellent article written by Colin
>
> Breck, an engineer who works on large-scale data systems:
> https://blog.colinbreck.com/i-dont-want-to-read-what-you-didnt-write/
>
> Colin wrote:
>
> I don’t want to live in a world where you use AI to summarize
>
> something important into unreadable text, and then I use AI in an attempt
> to decipher it. I want to hear you, imperfections and all. I want your
> interpretation of aesthetics, beauty, quality, relationship, time. I want
> to know how you feel. I want you to cut through and tell me what really
> matters.
>
> Intentional writing will likely become more valuable. People who
>
> write, and write to think, to think deeply and carefully, or to create, to
> share, or to capture something important without explicitly expressing it
> will continue to write and produce original work. The people who never were
> writers will use AI to produce lots of text.
>
> I hope that our culture can remain one of intentional writing and
>
> intentional engineering. I enjoy reading the voice of the author in
> comments, code, and tickets in Cassandra – the different ways we use
> language based on where we grew up and how we learned English, the
> translated idioms from our various backgrounds, and terse comments that
> recognize the difference between code whose function is obvious and what
> warrants genuine exposition. When I read code in Cassandra, it’s a delight
> to recognize the author based on their writing style before flipping on
> `git annotate` to reveal the origin.
>
> I’d encourage folks to re-read the original proposal below. It is
>
> very permissive. The guidance strikes me not just as reasonable, but
> genuinely important to maintaining the health of the project.
>
> – Scott
> =====
> Encouraged:
> - Reviewing and otherwise validating human-authored patches before
>
> submission
>
> - Debugging, diagnosing etc
> Permitted:
> - Generating or modifying tests, scripts, tooling or any other
>
> non-user facing changes
>
> - Minor changes to human-authored patches that are carefully
>
> reviewed by the author
>
> Restricted:
> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by contributors
>
> with demonstrated expertise
>
> - Must have produced similar patches in size, scope and area
>
> unassisted and with minimal third-party guidance
>
> - Core code changes made by LLM require an additional reviewer
> - LLM review is not a substitute for human review, and must be used
>
> only to augment a complete and independent human understanding of the
> patch.
>
> Prohibited:
> - All public prose must be human authored. This includes inline
>
> comments, docs, posts to Jira etc.
>
> All LLM generated changes MUST be disclosed:
> - Outlined to any reviewer;
> - Summarised in the commit message;
> - Large blocks or files must be individually marked with some agreed
>
> message like "created by <some AI>"
>
> =====
>
> On Sep 22, 2026, at 9:13 PM, Dinesh Joshi <[email protected]
>
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2026 at 3:28 AM Benedict <[email protected]
>
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>
> Restricted:
> - Core code changes made by LLM may only be proposed by
>
> contributors with demonstrated expertise
>
> - Must have produced similar patches in size, scope and area
>
> unassisted and with minimal third-party guidance
>
> I am -1 on this. This sounds like gate keeping attempt. It narrowly
>
> limits the pool to a few people on the project that have historically
> contributed to certain parts of the codebase. This policy will prohibit
> skilled software engineers with domain expertise from proposing LLM
> assisted changes simply because they have not contributed to the project.
> This is unrealistic and a net negative for the project to attract talent
> and grow our community.
>
> - Core code changes made by LLM require an additional reviewer
>
> Can you be more precise what is this in addition to? How many total
>
> reviewers do you expect and what is the purpose of additional reviewer? and
> why?
>
> Taking a step back - what are you trying to solve here?
> Dinesh
>
>

Reply via email to