Hi

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 12:13 AM <to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 12:03:46AM -0500, Igor Korot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 10:57 PM <to...@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 11:47:58AM -0500, Igor Korot wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > which is... distributing and integrating the software? (after all,
> > > that's what those *-config are supposed to do, aren't they?)
> >
> > Yes, because surprisingly enough I didn't have any issues with PostgreSQL
> > library config script and neither mySQL library config script.
> >
> > Does unixODBC have more love than everything else? ;-)
>
> Most probably just a different maintainer. Too lazy to look it up
> right now.
>
> > Or there is something else going on?
> >
> > The maintainers just needs to decide whether everything should use
> > "pkg-config" or everything should use "own config" file.
>
> There are few things which get decided top-down in Debian. That's one
> of the most salient points of this distro. That's what I appreciate
> in it.
>
> > And if its me - I'd vote for letter - less maintenance burden for me.
> > If something bad happens - lets upstream deal with the issues.
> >
> > Wouldn't you?
>
> Not necessarily. The foo-config (for foo in PostgreSQL, sqlite, MariaDB)
> all behave probably slightly differently. That's why pkg-config entered
> the scene, after all. So there are arguments for both sides,
>
> Such transitions sometimes work, sometimes they don't.

And here is the other point:

[code]
igor@IgorReinCloud /usr/local/lib $ pkg-config --libs odbc
-lodbc
igor@IgorReinCloud /usr/local/lib $ odbc_config --libs
-L/usr/lib64 -lodbc
igor@IgorReinCloud /usr/local/lib $
[/code]

I am not familiar with Debian and how it handles different packages
but I have Gentoo 64-bit installed and running odbc_config
my program will pick up libraries from 64 bit install.
If I ever need 32-bit unixODBC it will pick up the library
from the /usr/lib.

I as a developer wouldn't care, because I will not know all this.
But when I use pkg-config it looks like all it will show is the library
I'm supposed to link with. And if someone decides to install both 32
 and 64 bit libraries...

Someimes its not even possible to create a pkg-config. ;-)

But you giuys making it hard