On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 03:18:54PM -0000, Demon News wrote:

> During the course of my work I have recently come across references to tty.
> In ps, /dev/  and others. I realised that although I  see this all the time
> I don't actually know what it means. I searched the usual suspects and
> although I found that tty was/is a  system used by the deaf to make
> telephone calls I have not been able to find out how/why it is used in
> Debian/Linux. I did find the getty man and can see that this handles the
> logon and stuff from a tty connection. And I know the a pty is a pseudo type
> connect. What I don't understand is why I have ttys in ps and /dev/ and how
> they relate to the structure of the system. Is it a historical thing? I know
> they are something to do with modems and terminal connections also that they
> can be used for things like voice recording.
>
> Any pointers to further reading that explains what these things actually are
> and how they are used would be most welcome.
>
> I'm off to the admin manual to see if that has any info. TIA for any help.
Hi $RANDOM $USER,
I think you need to investigate the UNIX roots on Gnu/Linux. All this
comes from there. Long ago, computers where multi-user mainframes with
console terminal, so the idea is that they created a system to duplicate
these historical bits. The next thing is to get a book like the 'unix
philosophy'[0]. It states that everthing is treated like a file: the
screen, the mouse, the printer, etc. This is what is in the /dev file
system: dev meaning device.
cheers,
Kev
[0] this I believe is a book by Eric Raymond, a historical figure in
Unix and Gnu/Linux