On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 05:55:54PM -0700, Hubert Chan wrote:

>     Gary> I would assume that if you didn't want to leave the mail on the
>     Gary> remote server you'd just use fetchmail to download it, although, I
>     Gary> *think* gnus has it's own software to download the mail if that's
>     Gary> what you want.
>
> Yup, gnus has its own stuff to download.  It can read from a local file, a
> remote file (using some hackery described in the info page), for a POP3
> account, and an IMAP account.
>
> I just use gnus' stuff because I'm too lazy to learn fetchmail.

There's a package 'fetchmailconf' that makes setup pretty braindead
easy.

mutt/procmail/fetchmail has been the nicest route for me. There are a
few 10-second procmail walk-throughs, so that's not something to worry
about either.

Take this to set up your procmail rules and I bet you can get
everything set up on the nicer side of 15 minutes.

#! /bin/sh
#
# debian procmail setup script
#
# no harm in including lists not subscribed; procmail won't
# make a folder 'til it actually has mail.
#

FILENAME="debian.rc"

rm $FILENAME

AddList() {
    echo ":0:" >>$FILENAME
    echo "* ^X-Mailing-List: [EMAIL PROTECTED]" >>$FILENAME
    echo "in-l-$1" >>$FILENAME
    echo >>$FILENAME
}

AddList debian-68k lists.debian.org
AddList debian-beowulf lists.debian.org
AddList debian-boot lists.debian.org
AddList debian-bugs-closed lists.debian.org
AddList debian-bugs-dist lists.debian.org
AddList debian-bugs-forwarded lists.debian.org
AddList debian-cd lists.debian.org
AddList debian-changes lists.debian.org
AddList debian-devel lists.debian.org
AddList debian-devel-changes lists.debian.org
AddList debian-dpkg lists.debian.org
AddList debian-firewall lists.debian.org
AddList debian-hurd lists.debian.org
AddList debian-isp lists.debian.org
AddList debian-jr lists.debian.org
AddList debian-laptop lists.debian.org
AddList debian-legal lists.debian.org
AddList debian-mentors lists.debian.org
AddList debian-newmaint-admin lists.debian.org
AddList debian-newmaint-discuss lists.debian.org
AddList debian-perl lists.debian.org
AddList debian-pilot lists.debian.org
AddList debian-policy lists.debian.org
AddList debian-powerpc lists.debian.org
AddList debian-project lists.debian.org
AddList debian-qa lists.debian.org
AddList debian-release lists.debian.org
AddList debian-security lists.debian.org
AddList debian-security-announce lists.debian.org
AddList debian-sgml lists.debian.org
AddList debian-testing lists.debian.org
AddList debian-user lists.debian.org
AddList debian-vote lists.debian.org