On Thu, 13 Jun 2024, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:

> These reserved surrogate values should probably either be blocked, or encoded
> at
> the file system interface layer so they can be round tripped, like the Windows
> reserved characters, in the BMP or SMP PUAs.
>
> Reserved surrogate ranges are D800-DBFF|DC00-DFFF.

Cygwin already generates these unpaired surrogates in filenames, at least
here:
https://github.com/cygwin/cygwin/blob/84dff09aa0d3ad998551e3f91c61dc0534b0b8bf/winsup/cygwin/syscalls.cc#L342-L350

I was looking into ways to automate cleaning up these files, which would
likely be hampered if things like findutils would suddenly start
disallowing me from finding files with these characters in them.