On 09/20/19 11:28, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 09/20/19 10:28, Igor Mammedov wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 19:02:07 +0200
>> "Laszlo Ersek" <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Igor,
>>>
>>> (+Brijesh)
>>>
>>> long-ish pondering ahead, with a question at the end.
>> [...]
>>
>>> Finally: can you please remind me why we lock down 128KB (32 pages) at
>>> 0x3_0000, and not just half of that? What do we need the range at
>>> [0x4_0000..0x4_FFFF] for?
>>

>> If I recall correctly, CPU consumes 64K of save/restore area.
>> The rest 64K are temporary RAM for using in SMI relocation handler,
>> if it's possible to get away without it then we can drop it and
>> lock only 64K required for CPU state. It won't help with SEV
>> conflict though as it's in the first 64K.
>
> OK. Let's go with 128KB for now. Shrinking the area is always easier
> than growing it.
>
>> On QEMU side,  we can drop black-hole approach and allocate
>> dedicated SMRAM region, which explicitly gets mapped into
>> RAM address space and after SMI hanlder initialization, gets
>> unmapped (locked). So that SMRAM would be accessible only
>> from SMM context. That way RAM at 0x30000 could be used as
>> normal when SMRAM is unmapped.
>
> I prefer the black-hole approach, introduced in your current patch
> series, if it can work. Way less opportunity for confusion.
>
> I've started work on the counterpart OVMF patches; I'll report back.

I've got good results. For this (1/2) QEMU patch:

Tested-by: Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com>

I tested the following scenarios. In every case, I verified the OVMF
log, and also the "info mtree" monitor command's result (i.e. whether
"smbase-blackhole" / "smbase-window" were disabled or enabled). Mostly,
I diffed these text files between the test scenarios (looking for
desired / undesired differences). In the Linux guests, I checked /
compared the dmesg too (wrt. the UEFI memmap).

- unpatched OVMF (regression test), Fedora guest, normal boot and S3

- patched OVMF, but feature disabled with "-global mch.smbase-smram=off"
(another regression test), Fedora guest, normal boot and S3

- patched OVMF, feature enabled, Fedora and various Windows guests
(win7, win8, win10 families, client/server), normal boot and S3

- a subset of the above guests, with S3 disabled (-global
  ICH9-LPC.disable_s3=1), and obviously S3 resume not tested

SEV: used 5.2-ish Linux guest, with S3 disabled (no support under SEV
for that now):

- unpatched OVMF (regression test), normal boot

- patched OVMF but feature disabled on the QEMU cmdline (another
regression test), normal boot

- patched OVMF, feature enabled, normal boot.

I plan to post the OVMF patches tomorrow, for discussion.

(It's likely too early to push these QEMU / edk2 patches right now -- we
don't know yet if this path will take us to the destination. For now, it
certainly looks great.)

Thanks
Laszlo