On 24 May 2018 at 13:59, Laszlo Ersek <ler...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/24/18 11:11, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> Won't it also break a guest which is just Linux loaded not via
>> firmware which is an aarch32 kernel without LPAE support?
>
> Does such a thing exist? (I honestly have no clue.)

Yes, it does; LPAE isn't a mandatory kernel config option.
This is why we have the machine 'highmem' option, so that
we can run on those kernels by not putting anything above
the 4G boundary. Looking back at the history on that, we
opted at the time for "default to highmem on, and if you're
running an non-lpae kernel you need to turn it off manually".
So we can handle those kernels by just not putting ECAM
above 4G if highmem is false.

thanks
-- PMM