Hi!

On Thu,  8 May 2014 11:12:40 -0700 (PDT), Roland McGrath <rol...@hack.frob.com>
wrote:
> As part of my ongoing work on the NaCl port (NaCl == Google Native Client),
> I'm now embarking on porting pthreads (i.e. nptl/).  This will be the first
> time the NPTL code gets used in a non-Linux port.

Isn't the Debian/kFreeBSD FBTL based on NPTL?
<http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3Calpine.LNX.2.00.1307102021050.4232%40contest.felk.cvut.cz%3E>

    $ svn cat svn://svn.debian.org/glibc-bsd/trunk/glibc-ports/TODO.fbtl | head
-n 5
    fbtl - based on nptl

    original dir is pruned snapshot
    of nptl (and nptl_db) in HEAD as of 20130621

> There are lots of
> Linuxoid assumptions scattered about the code, which I will be teasing
> apart.  There is also lots of code that doesn't really assume Linux, but
> just assumes that there is a futex facility.  As NPTL is fundamentally
> based on the futex facility, I don't think there will ever be an attempt to
> port it to a system without such a facility.  (NaCl has a futex facility
> and the Hurd's GNU Mach might grow one someday.)

Regarding the Hurd:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/open_issues/nptl.html>;
<http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3Calpine.LNX.2.00.1308021035160.5570%40contest.felk.cvut.cz%3E>;
latest revision (v16) of futex patch for GNU Mach:
<http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3C1389969125-3852-1-git-send-email-mpr%40hi.t-com.hr%3E>.

> There are a bunch of things under nptl/sysdeps/ that don't seem like [...]
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

It does to me.

Grüße,
 Thomas