On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:45:38PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Ryan Hill <dirtye...@gentoo.org> writes:
>
> > Does anyone know since when (if) running make check with more than one job
> > has been supported?  IIRC back in the 3.x days it caused issues so we've
> > been forcing -j1 here forever.  If we could run it in parallel that would
> > be a
> > big timesaver.
>
> Jakub fixed it back in 2008 for gcc 4.4.  It is indeed a big timesaver.

Fixed just in the sense that the testing is more parallelized.
I've been using make -jN -k check for more than a decade and I don't
remember problems with that, mudflap tests are flaky and tend to fail
more often under load, but mudflap has only been added in 4.0.
Of course the N keeps changing over time, but currently testing certainly
works with -j48 that I'm using daily.

        Jakub